Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Veterinary Nomad - First Site Visit for 2012

Veterinary Nomad - First Site Visit for 2012

It's been a whole month since I have been on a plane...and yes! I still can do leisure! Even "chores" are pleasant pass times. While folks were singing "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" I was thinking, "Forget that, I'll keep this fabulous Southern California sunshine.".

We are back in gear on campus. We started the term with a physiology lab activity. Dr. Joe Bertone lead the activity which focused on NEUROANATOMIC DIAGNOSIS. The nervous system controls locomotion. Figuring out what's wrong with the locomotion is the first step to determining where the problem is located in the nervous system. The same principles can be applied to a horse or to a snake. "It's simple!" says Dr. Bertone.

So here I sit at the Ontario Airport practicing my skills with a species that I haven't studied, the human. I watch the Road Warriors who have just arrived from San Francisco International exit Gate 201. Everyone looks weary. They've had a long day. Everyone has carry-on bags rolling behind them, but and most have a heavy personal item that is causing a sideways list. Four out of the first eight passengers are limping. Badly limping. Immediately check out their shoes. The shoes are sensible. They have low-heels and seem to fit. I don't think anyone has neurological, but repeatedly being stuffed in a 13 row Canadair Regional Jet (CRJ200) and carrying heavy bags can result in chronic pain and striking degree of lameness in the modern Road Warrior.

A month has been long enough for me to forget the shoulder that had begun to be a pain. Watching the Road Warriors has reminded me why I added exercise gear to my carry-on. Now I just have to remember how to use it.

Diane McClure, Veterinary Nomad
Journal Entry. 1-11-12

P.S. I'm no longer the Foursquare Mayor of Ontario Baggage claim # 2...and I'm not trying to get it back. Anyone else on Foursquare?


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment